Wednesday, April 9, 2008

On the Road to Hanalei, Almost There

Are you done with you lunch? Great! Do you want some of my Kombucha juice? No? Can't imagine why not. It's so yummy. Let's get going again.

Look--the Poinciana trees still have a few blooms on them.

I like Poinciana trees. I was going to tell you that it was our state tree, but I'm glad I didn't because I just looked it up and it's not.

Funny thing about living in Hawaii. When you move here, you instantly become a tour guide for all your Mainland friends. You're responsible for knowing the names of every tree, building, mountain, stream, fish, bird...well, you get the picture. Me? I usually just make things up that I don't know. Really. Who's going to check? Why, if I told you that our state fish was the Rhinecanthus rectangulus, would you know I was making it up? Well, I'm not. But if you think "Rhinecanthus rectangulus" is hard to say, try calling it by its common name, "Humuhumunukunuku apua'a."

But writing these tour-y things down in my blog is a different story altogether. I can't just make things up here. My island friends may check my accuracy, so I should be truthful...uh...I mean accurate. But that sure requires a lot of research on my part if I can't just make things up! I'll make a deal with you, eh? Everything I'm not really sure about accuracy-wise (i.e. I'm making stuff up), I'll write in italics, like this. That way, if you really want accuracy, you can look all that italicized stuff up yourself. It'll be a do-it-yourself tour, eh?

While we're still in Kilauea, let's see the bird sanctuary! Hmmm...not too many birds out today, but there's a really nice lighthouse which was built in 1910. It's the one most like itself in the whole world. Amazing, huh?
I suppose I should put things in perspective here. Let's back out a bit. Can you spot the lighthouse we were just standing in front of? The lighthouse stands on this long peninsula, known as Kilauea Point. I think if I were to put together a must-see list of Kauai, this bird sanctuary would definitely be in my top ten. It's breathtaking and you can usually see all kinds of sea turtles when you look down off these cliffs into the water. Gorgeous!

Back into the car--fasten your seatbelt! We'll be seeing a beautiful roadside waterfall along the way, and we'll also get a glimpse of Hanalei Valley:

The vista as you go over the Hanalei bridge is magnificent. Those are all taro patches down there. It's so green and sparkly! So pretty.

Now we're in Hanalei town, at the Hanalei Dolphin Center. At least that's what the sign says...I hope they're sure, because I didn't use italics. Hey! There's my WH across the street! How did he get here? Do you mind if he comes with us?
Right next to the Dolphin Center is Ola's, one of my favorite shops. I love their colorful glass display in the window:

Out this front window you can see taro growing in a farmer's field:
Taro grows in the water like that. Taro is used to make poi, which is a light purple starchy gooey goo that tastes just like that paste you weren't supposed to eat in elementary school. (Okay, I didn't EAT the paste, I just tasted it once. It tasted like poi.)
Out the other window, we can see more of the Blue Danube. In the Spring, my husband and I often kayak in this river. (Hee hee...this italic thing is fun....)
Why, look at all those Palmiflora palmitises growing next to the Swanee River. And look at all those peeblefish jumping about. I think the ancient Hawaiians used to do something here, right on this very spot. It's historic. They probably had picnics. Yeah...historic picnics.

Okay...the strain of all this fabrication is getting to me. I really just come here for the yarn:

Whoo hoo! We're here! My local yarn shop--Hanalei Music's Strings and Things. It used to be only a music shop, but now part of the store is a yarn shop. So it's a music and yarn shop! Don't laugh....Kauai is small. (I hear there's a combination fabric shop/bait store on the Big Island!) We just make do. And make up things we don't know occasionally. Okay, maybe it's just me that makes things up. But we're having fun, right?

Tomorrow, we go INSIDE and fondle some yarny goodness!

21 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

There's my WH across the street! How did he get here? Do you mind if he comes with us?


Yes, he can come along, but you have to explain what a "WH" is...

Love the lighthouse area... I'll put that on my "When I visit Hawaii list."

Tine said...

I want to go see the sea-turtles!!!
I think you are a great guide :-)

qusic said...

how I love going on a road trip with you! looking forward to the yarn shop visit:D

Unknown said...

Did you know in England there's a combination musical instrument and weapons shop? I'd rather have yarn myself.

Stacy A. said...

Boy I bet my husband wishes he could see italics in my words. He never can tell if I'm joking, or making the story more interesting. Unless it is on my blog and about him lol. I tell him to just flow with it, a little creativity never hurt anyone!
Speaking of sea turtles, the only time I was ever in Hawaii, we took a boat out to see the turtles. First off, I got heat stroke the first day, so I was huddled in the shade of the boat, trying to ignore the shivers when the boat started rocking a bit from the waves. My lovely father, who we now know gets very sea sick, suddenly throws up all over me. It was one of the worst moments of my life. Luckily I was right by the boat entrance so I rolled right into the water, trying to hold it in myself. Lucky for me there were 2 huge turtles about 10 feet away and I got to swim with them. I loved Hawaii, but I got the feeling it didn't love me! Taking tours vicariously through you is more my style. I'm ready for tomorrows trip! Love Stacy

susan said...

is that music and strings newer? i dont remember even a music shop in hanalei. snow melting very slowly and we are going to be by an even bigger storm starting tonight thru saturday...but we are still going to escanaba to see charlie daniels, shooter jenins and 38 special...should be fun if not a scarry ride :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a nice tour! And very timely - we just got 6 inches of snow today. I think I'll come visit!

Thanks for sharing - love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh, when you said you were going to Hanalei, I had hoped you were stopping by Strings and Things! Yay! I can't wait to see if you got to go to the Wishing Well. I really could use a shaved ice fix. Get me that one with the coconut in the middle. Please.

Sally said...

Lisa, you crack me up! I just love to read your blog. I come here every day! I almost feel as though I'm in Kauai in person. Thanks so much for the tour.

Opal said...

Wow! A music and yarn shop. Too cool!
Now I want to visit Kauai. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, I love lighthouses! More reasons to visit in Kauai. Waiting for post on POALIMA to see more!

Mary Anne said...

I'm really enjoying the tour and your quasi- expert version of historical and geographical facts!! Very convincing!! ( oh and just a little reminder, I get carsick so I hope I'm riding shotgun!)

ladydi said...

That settles it. I am definitely coming to Hawaii. The blue blue water beside the lighthouse is what captured me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour. I'm still hungry though, not enough lunch. :) Can we stop at a quilt shop on the way back?

Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Gosh if I had known you were going to Strings and Things I would have met you there. I have been twice in the last week or so. Keep running out of yarn.

Vicky said...

ROFLOL. You're the best tour guide! No sense in letting a little truth get in the way of a good story! I've never been to Hawaii - keep the tour pix coming!

Silverthimble said...

I loved the tour! I am really enjoying reading your blog--in particular the posts that take us out to see the local sights. BTW, I also love your quilts, but getting a chance to see Paradise is such a great bonus! :)

Under the Lychee Tree said...

I think the kombucha juice got to you. Those are African Tulip trees (Spathodea campanulata)!

Mokihana said...

Fabulous photos... make me homesick to da max!

Oh. By the way... I LOVE poi! It was my first food... and no taste like paste to me, sista! Taste ono to da max!

Kellie said...

Gorgeous photos as usual...I enjoyed that so much!

I think you've inspired me to do a Hawaiian storytime next week when we get back to school! I'll read Aloha Delores(the only Hawaiian themed book in my library) and then tell the kids all about the Ancient Hawaiian picnics along the Swanee River where the Palmiflora Palmitises grow.

Rebecca said...

Oh, you're making me...not homesick, 'cause I've never lived there, but...reminiscent? Fortunately, I can raise the same feelings in my husband.

I like to stay in Kapa'a (actually Wailua) where the sea turtles feed at the mouth of the river. I once even saw some eggs in a tidal pool!